With this program you will be walking around Longido mountain plains, 80 km north of Arusha, The walking featuring the traditions of Masai people amd culture. The area is home to rare birds and animals.
- A nature walk to spot birds
- A climb to the impressive Longido mountain through a dense natural forest
- Walking through the Maasai plains and over the slopes of Longido mountain
- A visit to a traditional Maasai bomas
- A tour of historical sites dating back to British colonial times
- A visit to Maasai women cultural group for shopping traditionally made ornaments and clothes
- The Guides are from local Masai tribe and will guide you well in English and where necessary sign language will be used. They have good experience in guiding tourists in the area and deep cultural insights.
- Various excursions and tours can be booked through Tanzania Tourist Board-Tourist Information Office in Arusha or throughyour tour operator/travel agent/lodge and Hotel Operator or direct from our website http:// bwtravelers.com
Program Details per Day
Day 1: Both Bird and Masai Boma Adventure Tour
Longido area is loaded with birdlife and some of the birds found are: red and yellow Barbet, Masked Weaver, Silver Bill and Secretary Bird.
A bird walk all the way through the Masai plains first from the town of Longido then to the selected bomas of Masai allows you to observe not only birds and trees and plants used by the locals Maasai to make food and medicines but also you can observer the Masai lifestyle and if you are lucky some traditional events.
Day 2: Kimokouwa Village Hiking and Vivid Cattle Market Tour
We will have a walk from selected Masai boma to Kimokouwa village along a cattle track . We will be gradually rising to an altitude of 1,600m to get getting the marvelous views of Mt. Kilimanjaro and Mt. Meru. We will go down to walk around Kimokouwa’s lush “valley of wells” and nearby historic British grave. The next day, you can extend your stay by visiting the bustling and vivid cattle market.
Day 3: Longido Mountain Trekking
Early in the next morning , we will pursue the constricted foot-trails all the way through the dense natural forest for 3-4 hrs to the gorgeous ‘dawa ya supu’ or medicine soup viewpoint. Another 2hrs trekking will take you to the summit of Longido mountain to benefit from incredible views of the other mountains of northern Tanzania (some of them are Mt. Kilimanjaro, Mt. Meru and Mt. Kitumbeine). The descent back to the campsite takes about three hours.
Concluding the program with a farewell event with the Maasai women cultural group.